Building strategic long-term value for investors
Real estate has evolved in the last 20 years and we’ve grown with it.
Throughout the firms history, we have focused on accommodation as it is a fundamental need for human beings and a consistent asset class.
As a result, we became one of the first pan-European accommodation investors specialising in modern living which includes multi-family, purpose-built student accommodation (PBSA), build to rent (BTR), co-living and senior living.
Below are some highlights of our journey so far.
- RHC makes history in Portugal, acquiring the largest purpose built student accommodation and co-living portfolio in Portugal in 2022 from Smart Studios. The €200m deal added over 2,000 beds from nine PBSA and co-living residences in Lisbon and Porto to the Iberian portfolio.
- RHC form a strategic joint venture with Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (“CPP Investments”) investing in excess of €1BN to create one of the largest European student accommodation partnerships.
- RHC and QuadReal complete a deal to acquire €123.5M Dublin PRS scheme, Blackwood Square, a major new PRS development in Dublin.
- RHC launches Round Hill Ventures – an impact conscious venture capital fund focussed on built environment technologies.
- RHC complete the sale of 9,544 residential units in the Netherlands to Heimstaden AB for €1.4BN – the largest residential real estate transaction recorded in the Netherlands.
- RHC’s expanding logistics platform acquires four logistics warehouse developments in Spain as part of the expansion of its Southern European Logistics platform.
- RHC expand European operations by opening offices in Finland, Ireland and Portugal.
- In line with a new Finnish residential strategy, RHC acquire a residential portfolio comprising 3,263 units.
- As part of the continuing investment in student accommodation through multiple strategies, RHC acquire a UK student accommodation portfolio comprising 1,815 units and also expand the Dutch PBSA development pipeline with sites in Groningen and Utrecht by 2,658 units.
- RHC make first acquisition into the Italian industrial and logistics sector.
- RHC expand into the US market opening offices in both Boston and Palm Beach.
- A strategic joint venture with Starwood Capital is formed to invest in the UK student housing market with an initial portfolio acquisition of 1,595 beds.
- RHC purchase the largest mixed-use portfolio development in Portugal consisting of student housing, residential, hotel, retail and F&B.
- As part of RHC's new German residential strategy focusing on the acquisition of residential portfolios in the greater metropolitan areas, we complete the acquisition of a 770-unit portfolio in Berlin along with a 114-unit portfolio in Hamburg.
- Expanding the geographical footprint by entering the Nordic market, RHC makes its first acquisition into the logistics and industrial sector with a portfolio consisting of 18 assets across Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
- RHC launch first Venture Opportunities Platform and close on four investments in the property technology sector.
- Continued acquisition of additional residential portfolios in the Netherlands sees RHC become one of the largest private landlords in the country.
- Through the purchase of RPG Byty, RHC becomes one of the largest private landlords in the Czech Republic.
- RHC expands its presence in the student housing market closing on another premium asset in West Hampstead, London.
- RHC establishes a presence in the Spanish residential market through Project Palo Alto, a prime residential development on the Costa Del Sol.
- RHC becomes the first foreign investment firm to commence building a significant portfolio of Dutch residential real estate assets post the financial crisis with over 9,600 units.
- RHC is one of the first movers into the UK student accommodation space purchasing three premium London assets in Spitalfields, King’s Cross and Notting Hill with over 2,500 beds.
- RHC expands its presence in Germany, creating a country-wide team of vertically integrated investment, asset and property managers that manage over 50,000 units.
- RHC moves into the European office sector with the acquisition of prime assets in Austria, Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
- RHC assume corporate management of Vitus Group, a leading German residential operator, with over 30,000 units spread across seven operating companies.
- Round Hill Capital is founded by Michael Bickford in 2002 in London.
- The company makes its first acquisitions into a variety of assets, including Swiss industrial, UK senior living and German office.